Cover Image

Portumna Heritage Trail

16. St Molaises

Click here to return to the Portumna Heritage Trail

St Molaises

This building is located at the junction of Dominic Street and Shannon Road. In the late 18th century it was owned by members of the Doolan family. In the 19th century it was converted into an RIC barracks and during the Irish War of Independence forty ‘Black and Tan’ members provided back –up to the existing police force in the town. When the Free State came into being the buildings were sold to a local man, Danny Molloy, who set up a successful saw-milling business. In 1956 St Molaisses College, a diocesan, second level school was established there. The building is now in private ownership.


Corner-sited end-of-row five-bay two-storey house, built c.1780, with dormer attic. Sprocketed hipped slate roof with dressed limestone chimneystacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Dressed limestone walls to front (north) elevation and east gable, roughcast rendered west gable, and rubble stone walls to rear. Square-headed window openings with yellow brick surrounds, limestone sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Western ground floor windows under common elliptical yellow brick retaining arch. Flat-roofed dormer windows to rear elevation having two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Round-headed door opening with yellow brick voussoirs, stone steps, timber columns on limestone plinths, timber cornice, elaborate cobweb fanlight, and timber panelled door, fronted by two limestone steps. Rubble stone quadrant wall to western boundary of site with rendered piers and double-leaf corrugated-iron gate to yard entrance to rear of house.

Former students


This attractive and well proportioned Georgian house occupies a prominent corner site facing onto Dominic Street and Shannon Road. It is one of the more substantial houses remaining in the town and would have been constructed by a prominent local family. The timber doorcase and the elaborate cobweb fanlight are of artistic interest. The building, with so much of its fabric and form intact and good details and artistic features, makes a strong contribution to the streetscape.