Portumna Heritage Trail
19. Palmerstown Lodge
Click here to return to the Portumna Heritage Trail
A number of minor gentry houses, associated with Portumna Castle, are situated almost in a semi-circle on the fringes of the town. These include the Rectory, Thornfield House, Wilmount House, Oakley Park, Fairyhill House, Gortaha House and Palmerston House.
The Palmers, a family from Dublin, were involved in the milling business and the family owned Santa Cruze Mill at Carrigahorig which was built in 1805. Palmerston House, a detached three-bay two-story residence, was built c. 1820 by Samuel Palmer. Palmerston Lodge, located nearer the town, was also owned by the family.
Detached five-bay two-storey house c.1800, with single-storey flat-roofed extensions to rear (north) elevation. Currently disused. Pitched slate roof with cement rendered chimneystacks with clay pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls with smooth rendered plinth course, sill course and eaves course to front elevation, and lined-and-ruled rendered walls to gables. Square-headed window openings with tooled stone sills and timber battened fittings. Round-headed door opening with render surround, boarded up. Garden to front bounded by cast-iron spearhead railings on cut limestone plinths with cast-iron pedestrian gate, and with decorative wrought-iron double-leaf gate to west end with cut-stone piers. Rubble limestone piers further to west with wrought-iron double-leaf gate.
Though currently unoccupied this house has been well kept and enhances the approach to Portumna from the south. The quality of the setting is added to by the retention of the boundary wall, railings and wrought and cast-iron gates. Although boarded up the house retains its strong architectural character, with classical elements in the regular fenestration and round-headed doorway.