Portumna Heritage Trail
30. Hayes Butchers Canopy
Click here to return to the Portumna Heritage Trail
Both of these premises were bought in 1903 by Tom Hayes who had owned a public on Old Main Street.
Tom married Brigid Flynn from the Arch Bar in Loughrea and the union produced fourteen children. Tom leased the premises in New Street to a Mr Golden who had established a ‘sub-chemist’ in Portumna and he leased the pub for a number of years to Winfred (Win) Houlihan.
One of their sons, Gerald, ran the butcher business. The canopy overhanging the window and door of the butcher shop is a significant piece of streetscape.
The canopy was used for the hanging of meat for the purposes of display.